Naturalistic Route No. 10 - GORGOVIVO - PIAN MOLINO – GRATTAFUCILE Print

For not forget: nature, holy and quarrymen.
From the junction of Serra S. Quirico for Castelletta, therefore at the first clearing on the right small car park. From Gorgovivo dirt floor between Esino and border of the Park with against the giant quarry. At the second meadow path to the left that goes up zigzagging in stain to crest on railway tunnel. In front, superb, Gola della Rossa, engraved by Esino that outlines the base of the rocky spurs of Murano and the green cliffs of Revellone with outcropping rocks and hallways, refuge in the distant past of our ancestors, and more recently of a man named Sylvester. Continue to climb for a small track, then sharply to the right to the edge of the woods with a new view of the Gola. Immediately to the left, in the woods; shortly after first pylon on the right. The track becomes more marked. Leave the fork on the left and in a short ridge on the second pylon. The overlying rocks require attention for easy steps to set few stones mobile. Outgoing, the track continues on the ridge meadows for Pian Molino (sign "Floristic Area").  Path in the side of Rossa, short descent for enter in the pinewood for meet, in front, leaving the clear path on grass and with short crossing at the junction  with cart: left for S. Pietro, right for Gruttafucile, with obvius path. (Descending not take the first fork to the left).



Grottafucile.
In 1227, the canon Silvestro Gozzolini wanting to flee to the bishop of Osimo, who blamed the behavior, refuged in this cave leading bitter hermit’s life. Early many men joined Eve so much that, four years later, in 1231, Providence indicated to the Saint a place more suitable to house the small community that had formed around: Monte Fano, near Fabriano. The headquarters of the Benedictine movement was, by then, the monastery of St. Benedetto of Montefano (S. Silvestro) but Grottafucile was never abandoned by the Fonder who always leaves the disciples. In 1243, S. Sylvester himself constructed in the place a small church that was well preserved until 1810. The building measured 13.50 x 4.80 m, the altar was placed in the east. It is accessible from three doors: one to the north (still exists) for the monks, another to the south, for the people, a third in the East that led into a small sacristy. Beside the church stood a cloister, a chapter house, a cell and everything else needed to accommodate a dozen monks. The Holy Founder always considered this place as the cradle of his order so as to bring together, in the year 1255, the first general chapter.

Miracles of Sylvester.
Two apostolic visitor, sent by the pope to realize the real intentions of the hermit, deem it appropriate search a companion for not stay alone and, went to Recanati, they propose a certain Philip who, though with some doubts, set out in search of the hermit. But any doubt falls when Philip, arrived at the cave of the Saint, he felt called by name as if Silvestro had known him a long time. When the small hermitage of Grottafucile begins to be small for the increasing number of monks who asks to follow him, Silvestro decides to build a monastery more capacious at Monte Fano in Fabriano. During the construction of this monastery, one day, the foreman, despite the recommendations of the saint, saw too short the beam that must support the roof. When the beam is hoisted on the spot, if it touches one part doesn’t touch the other. Saint Silvestro, then, picks up one end of the beam and says to the foreman: “"You pull one part that I shot the other!" Subject to this unusual treatment, the wood, miraculously, relax and finally can be put in its place.