1. Vai direttamente al menu principale
  2. Vai direttamente al contenuto
  3. Vai direttamente al menu di destra
Home Discover the land Arcevia what to visit in Arcevia
what to visit in Arcevia
Cultural Center “San Francesco” PDF E-mail

Housed in the old Convento di San Francesco (XIII-XVI sec.), the Cultural Center houses the Tourist Office, the Historical Archive, the Library "Angelo Rocca," and the Gallery of Contemporary Art with works by three artists relating to the city: Quirino Ruggeri (1883-1955), Edgardo Mannucci (1904-1986) and Bruno d'Arcevia (1946).
The works are arranged in a chronological itinerary, beginning with portraits in bronze and plaster of the first half of the twentieth century by Quirino Ruggeri (including the famous portrait of Mimise Guttuso) to continue with the sculptures of Edgardo Mannucci, one of the fathers of the Informal style in art. Here is rebuilt his expressive process, from figurative beginning to informal style after the bomb over Hiroshima, with the elegant spirals in the space.
In the gallery devoted to Bruno d'Arcevia are exposed oil paintings, ceramics, graphics, drawings from which emerges a painter with a prodigious hand and an innate sense of color. Bruno d'Arcevia is one of the most important living artists of the style that recovers the shapes and the colors of the sixteenth-century mannerist style.

Show in google

 
Church of San Francesco PDF E-mail

Originally bulit in the thirteenth century, in 1750 the church was completely rebuilt in Baroque style by the architect and artist Lorenzo Bossi. The interior is elegant and luminous, with a set of statues, altars and medallions in stucco painted with pastel colors that celebrate the Franciscan Order and its most important saints. Among the canvases there is a "San Giuseppe da Copertino" by Giovanni Conca (XVIII sec.). In the apse there is a stucco composition with "San Francesco che contempla il Crocifisso" in an original frame with clouds and cherubs. To the left of the entrance you can see a "Vergine del Parto”, a fresco of the Marche-Umbrian school of the fourteenth century, the oldest painting in Arcevia. Of the oldest church, also the beautiful portal in pink and white stone along Corso Mazzini and the big bell tower are still intact.

 

Show in GOOGLE MAPS

 
Town Walls PDF E-mail

The visit of Arcevia can start with a walk along the town-walls. The present appearance was ordered by Francesco Sforza in the first half of the fifteenth century, who made extend the previous town-walls with a powerful system of towers.
The walls, built mainly in stone, extend for a mile and show the four gateways to the city along the way: Porta di S. Agostino, Porta di S. Lucia, Porta di S. Pietro and Porta del Sasso. These entrances, built by master craftsmen from Lombardy, still keep their charm and impressiveness.
In the place of the garden “Giardino Leopardi”, at the highest point of the mountain, there was the "Cassero", the ancient fortress. This structure was dismantled during the construction of the Convento dei Padri Cappuccini in the sixteenth century, but you can still see some ruins.

Show in GOOGLE MAPS

 
Collegiata San Medardo PDF E-mail

This imposing building of the first half of the seventeenth century has many masterpieces, including two tables by the Renaissance painter Luca Signorelli: the "Polittico of San Medardo" (1507) and the "Battesimo di Cristo" (1508). By Giovanni della Robbia is a monumental majolica altar depicting the "Madonna col bambino tra i santi Giovanni Battista e Gerolamo" (1510-1513), while to his brother Fra Mattia is attributed a Crucifix (post. 1532) always in polychrome majolica.
Among the notable works preserved in this rich church we mention a table by Piergentile Venanzo (1529), the furnishings by baroque master wood carvers Leonardo Scaglia and Francesco Giglioni (1647-1650) and "Madonna del Rosario" (1642), a masterpiece of Simone Cantarini.
A museum collects those artworks that were not properly placed in the church, as a fifteenth century table with the "Madonna del Soccorso", a refined silver crucifix by Cesarino del Roscetto from Perugia (1524-1525), works of the painter Claudio Ridolfi and numerous paintings by Ercole Ramazzani (1535-1598), mannerist painter student of Lorenzo Lotto.

Show in GOOGLE MAPS

 
Giardino “Giacomo Leopardi” PDF E-mail

This garden is a major environmental and natural resource, a kind of "living monument" in constant transformation. Built as a centre of the Corpo Forestale dello Stato in the late nineteenth century, now it is not only a green area appreciated by residents and tourists, but also a botanical garden and an "outdoor classroom".
The park is a good example of biodiversity with its sixty species of trees and shrubs, both native (from the Downy Oak to Holm Oak, from common Hornbeam to Sycamore Maple) and exotic (many herbaceous species), reported by explanatory tags.

Show in GOOGLE MAPS. 

 
Archaeological National Museum PDF E-mail

Here you can take a journey through the most important stages of ancient history in this land, from the Palaeolithic era to the Roman colonization. In the first room are exposed flint tools from Ponte di Pietra (upper Palaeolithic, 18000-16000 BC), followed by artefacts found in the defensive moat of Conelle (IV-II millennium BC), one of the most famous and significant sites of the Copper Age in Italy.
The village located on the top of Monte Croce-Guardia, with the remains of activities related to pastoralism and transhumance, dates back to the end of the Bronze Age (XII-X centuries. BC).
Two halls are dedicated to the rich gallic burials (IV-III cent. BC) and the sanctuary found in Montefortino, with the weapons and beautiful women's jewelry belonged to one of the richest Celtic communities of Italy. Finally, a room is dedicated to the prehistoric collection of researcher Anselmo Anselmi from Arcevia (1859-1907).

Show in GOOGLE MAPS

Link a Musan.it - Link to Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art“Ruggeri, Mannucci, Bruno d’Arcevia”

 
Teatro Misa PDF E-mail

Built inside Palazzo dei Priori in the seventeenth century, between 1840 and 1845, due to the continuous risk of fire, was completely rebuilt in masonry. It was designed by Giuseppe Ferroni from Senigallia, perhaps together with Vincenzo Ghinelli, both students of the famous architect Pietro Ghinelli, author of the most beautiful theaters in the Marche region in the nineteenth century. The theater is a little architectural jewel with three tiers of boxes, the beautiful "U"-shaped hall and a deep stage significantly raised above the audience. You can see also the frescoed ceiling with multicolored floral and grotesque patterns, which are like a frame for the image of muses, poets and of the four seasons, the work of Luigi Mancini (1819-1881) also the author of the curtain of the theater "Pergolesi" in Jesi.

Show in GOOGLE MAPS.

 
 

logo Parco Gola della Rossa e Frasassi

logo Comunità Montana

Logo accessibilità

Logo attestante il superamento, ai sensi della Legge n. 4/2004, della verifica tecnica di accessibilità.