1. Vai direttamente al menu principale
  2. Vai direttamente al contenuto
  3. Vai direttamente al menu di destra
Home Discover the land Genga Itineraries in the municipality
itineraries in the town of Genga PDF Print E-mail

Outside the old town of Genga are disseminated a great amount of historical, artistic and natural beauties. In addition to the caves along the gorge of Frasassi, do not miss the castle of Pierosara and the village of San Vittore delle Chiuse with its abbey, around which are the thermal baths, sulphurous water sources indicated for inhalation treatments.

Route 1
In the village of San Vittore delle Chiuse, in the space of a few meters, you can travel over the oldest story on Earth, even before that the man appeared, until the blooming of monastic culture and medieval abbeys.

Abbey of San Vittore delle Chiuse
First mentioned at the beginning of the eleventh century, but its origin is even older. Subject to the reform of San Romualdo, the monastery, through donations and bequests, became powerful and in charge of many castles and forty-two churches in the territory.
This church is one of the most representative Romanesque monuments of the region. Outside has a compact volume, made of square blocks of limestone, whose essential form is powered by the curved lines of the apses. In the walls open the windows, while at the entrance stands out the bell tower, which once had obvious features of defense.
The church has a Greek cross plan. The interior, divided into three naves by monumental pillars, could be defined empty, but it is elegant. Proportionate shapes, harmonized with the light that filters through the windows, make of this church a haven of peace and place of meditation.

Museo Speleopaleontologico e Archeologico - Musan.it

Prepared inside the former monastery of San Vittore, is divided into three sections: naturalistic, archaeological and speleology. To the ground floor you can admire a large skeleton of ursus speleus and especially the ichthyosaurus, a fossil of extraordinary rarity and scientific importance. This is a marine reptile about three meters long, which looks like a dolphin, and lived in the upper Jurassic, about one hundred and fifty million years ago. 
In the archaeological section are exposed to the urn for the ashes of the defunct found in Pianello (Bronze Age, XII cent. BC). Several are also the findings coming from the caves of the gorge, in some cases populated since the Eneolithic (IV millennium BC) until barbaric age, as the Caverna di Frasassi, Grotta dei Baffoni,  Grotta del Mezzogiorno, Grotta del Prete.
It is also exposed a set of Celtic tomb and especially the oldest human finding in the Marche region: a skull found in a cave of Gola della Rossa.

Route 2
Genga is famous for its Grotte di Frasassi, but in the homonymous gorge there are many other caves, frequented by humans since the ancient times. In the Middle Ages this presence left traces thanks to the building of a hermitage and, during the pontificate of Pope Leone XII, of a sanctuary.

Grotte di Frasassi
It is the bigger ipogeal complex in Europe. The Caves, discovered by the C.A.I. group of Ancona the 27 september 1971, are open to the public since 1974. It is impossible to describe the inside, moulded by the nature over the millennia beyond all human logic. The touristic route winds foro ne of the twenty explored kilometres, but people fond of speleology can take two optional paths that have different degrees of difficulty; for the exploration people are equipped with special suits and helmets.
The “rooms” that compose the Caves have been given fanciful names, suggested by the images that the calcareous “sculptures” seem to evoke (Sala dei Giganti, Sala delle Candeline, Abisso Ancona, Sala Finlandia, …). Everything is made more striking by the play of light designed by the scenographer TV Carlo Cesarini from Senigallia (1923-1996).

Santuario della Madonna e Caverna di Frasassi
After taking a path in about ten minutes, we arrive at the great cave that is the entrance of the cave that first was called Caverna di Frasassi, because it was the bigger and more suggestive cave of the gorge before the discovering of the caves now open to the public.
In the entrance there is a sanctuary, called “little temple”, of octagonal shape and neoclassical style, work that the tradition attributed to the famous architect Giuseppe Valadier (1762-1839). Built between 1818 and 1825 by the will of Pope Leone XII with stone excavated on site, in its bare inside there is a very evocative atmosphere. Here is venerate the reproduction of the elegant statue in white marble representing the “Madonna col Bambino”; the original statue is located in the Museum of Holy Art “San Clemente” in Genga. Not far, standing on the rock wall, there is the very ancient female Benedictine oratory of Santa Maria Infrasaxa (XI century).

Route 3
Outside the gorge, on the near hills and along the gorges digged by the torrents, it is possible to see both some natural cavities and signs left by humans looking for impregnable places.


Castle of Pierosara
The ancient Castellum Petrosum  was a settlement of the Longobards, choosen for the crucial importance of control over the Gola della Rossa and the Frasassi one. This origin left trace salso in the following centuries: the local population conformed to the rules of Longobards until XII century.
The city center is a typical and suggestive Medieval agglomeration, characterized by a double defensive system: in the lower part there is a fortified gate and, on the upper part, there is the mighty squared tower with the ancient core of the settlement. Crossed the second boundary wall, climbing a panoramic flaight of steps, we arrive at the Church of San Sebastiano. At the top of the castle there is the tower about fifteen metres high, on which you can see the ancient entrance. To enter this entrance was used a ladders that was withdrew in case of danger.
 
Valle Scappuccia
It is a protected floristic area (about three kilometres from Genga), accessible from a little gorge located along the street that connects Genga to Arcevia. This little valley, of great botanical interest because of the presence of rare species, conserves a variety of natural environments, still incontaminate. The visit, very suggestive in autumn because of the evocative colours of the forest, allows to observe the distribution of the vegetation in relation to climatic factors.
Walking along a path that follows the course of a little torrent, we go through the forest and, through a mule-track, we arrive at the little village of Capolavilla, to go back again to the street not far from where we start. It takes about two hours to make this circular route.

 

 
 

logo Parco Gola della Rossa e Frasassi

logo Comunità Montana

Logo accessibilità

Logo attestante il superamento, ai sensi della Legge n. 4/2004, della verifica tecnica di accessibilità.