1. Vai direttamente al menu principale
  2. Vai direttamente al contenuto
  3. Vai direttamente al menu di destra
Home Discover the land Cupramontana Itineraries in the municipality
itineraries in the town of Cupramontana PDF Print E-mail

Route 1
Near the ancient castle, in an isolated area, there are two important religious sites that are popularly called “Eremo dei Frati Neri” and “Eremo dei Frati Bianchi” from the color of the habit worn by monks who lived there. The Eremo dei Frati Bianchi is a place of great charm, for the environment in which it is inserted and the monumental ruins of the structure, which also inspired some poems by Luigi Bartolini (artist and writer, author of "Ladri di biciclette", Cupramontana 1892 - Rome, 1963).
On the hill overlooking the woods there is finally the Poggio Cupro Castle, where you can still breathe the air of another age.

Church of San Giacomo della Romita 
Not far from Cupramontana, near the woods, was built this “camaldolese” monastic priory , also called Romitella delle Mandriole. In 1452 the Franciscans took the place of the Camaldolesi and the church of San Giacomo was rebuilt several times, the last one between 1782 and 1786. Inside there is a beautiful glazed earthenware altar (1529) of local production but influenced by art of Della Robbia, famous Florentine artists.

Hermitage of the Caves (or White Friars)
So called because of the caves dug out of tufa by hermits, it was a place of prayer and penitence since the end of the century XI. Inhabited by Camaldolesi (the white friars), the hermitage is famous for have been home of blessed and holy, including the Blessed Paolo Giustiniani who, in 1520, put the foundations of the constitution of the “camaldolese” Benedictine Congregation of Monte Corona. Rebuilt in the eighteenth century, after a long period of neglect is being recovered as a conference center and recovery center for victims of traumas of war.
The hermitage is located in a protected floristic area where, thanks to its special microclimate, are  preserved rare tree species.

Poggio Cupro
Poggio Cupro is a castle not far from Cupramontana with medieval walls renovated in the early sixteenth century. Above the arch of entrance to the castle you can admire the sixteenth-century fresco of the Madonna con Bambino.
The church of San Salvatore, of the twelfth century as the castle, was rebuilt in the second half of the fifteenth century, while the graceful portal was carved in 1516.  Also the ambo, the tabernacle, the baptismal font and the basin of holy water (all carved in stone), and the fresco of San Floriano, which is the oldest preserved image of the patron of Jesi, were realised in the fifteenth century. The church has also a painted wooden statue of “Cristo Morto”, of the first half of the sixteenth century.

Route 2
Leaving the country and heading towards Jesi, you cross the place of the ancient Roman city, of which until now have been found a few testimonies. Going towards Staffolo instead, there is the Abbey of Beato Angelo, in an oasis of calm and tranquility.

Archaeological Area of Cupra Montana
Outside the old town, near the cemetery, there was a time the Roman city of Cupra, called "Montana" to distinguish it from the city of Piceno on the sea, today Cupramarittima. Except for a few finds preserved in the Town Hall and in the Library, not much is known about this settlement. The remains of a large tank, probably connected to the civic aqueduct, can be seen in via Bovio, while the cemetery seems built over the old spa of the town.

Abbey of Beato Angelo da Massaccio
Santa Maria in Serra, this is the ancient name of the abbey, was a “camaldolese” monastic complex built in 1180. It became famous in the fifteenth century for a major fact of history: the May 8 1429 the monk Angelo was murdered in the woods by the members of the heretical sect of the Fraticelli, who had in Cupramontana one of their strongholds. The body of Angelo immediately became  object of worship and pilgrimage, and this is why the Abbey changed its name to the current one. The monastery has kept the original implant, with many Romanesque-Gothic elements that date back to the twelfth and thirteenth century.
The ancient church was rebuilt in 1853. Inside, in addition to the body of the blessed, you can see a fine canvas with the “Incoronazione della Vergine", painted by Pier Francesco Fiorentino in 1496.


logo Parco Gola della Rossa e Frasassi

logo Comunità Montana

Logo accessibilità

Logo attestante il superamento, ai sensi della Legge n. 4/2004, della verifica tecnica di accessibilità.